Custom JAWS Scripts For GoldWave
Last Revised May, 2021
JAWS Scripts for GoldWave 5.67 and later, revision 29
Concept: Jim Grimsby (2004)
Design: Gary Campbell, Jim Grimsby, and Jitendra and d.Ram Kumar (2008-2013)
Project management, installer, and further scripting: Doug Lee (2016, 2020-2021)
This is a set of scripts for GoldWave versions 5.67 and later, for use with JAWS 15.0 and later.
This document can be opened from within the application via a double press
of JAWSKey+F1 (or Insert+F1)
when the scripts are running.
Table of Contents
Script Installation Instructions
To install these scripts on a new system:
- Load JAWS if this has not already been done. This will require
administrative privileges on the computer.
- Run JAWS as the user for whom the scripts are to be installed.
This and the following steps must be performed for each user of the computer
who will be using JAWS with these scripts.
- Download and run, or run directly, the installer for these scripts; and follow the on-screen
directions. Be sure to install the scripts in the currently running
JAWS version if a JAWS version list is presented.
- To verify successful installation, type Insert+q from
within the application. Part of the JAWS spoken response should be a
revision number. If you do not hear a revision number, the scripts are
not correctly loaded.
In some cases, restarting JAWS may fix this issue.
Script Commands and Features
These scripts provide the following commands beyond those provided by the application itself:
For numerous other commands, type Insert+h from within the application at various points for usage summaries.
- JAWSKey+q, along with announcing the active configuration name, will announce the revision number of these scripts.
- Insert+F1, typed twice in quick succession, opens this document in the default browser.
This is the revision history of these scripts, most recent revision first:
Revision 29, released May 2, 2021, tested against application version 6.55
- Slider/fader controls after "Setup" in the device control window speak more appropriately when focused and while being changed with arrows or page up/down keystrokes.
This includes the controls for volume, balance, and speed.
- The Alt+Shift+P command for reading the progress of a process, such as a file decompression, works through GoldWave 6.55 at least.
Hamza Ahmad (literary-programmer on GitHub)
for this code fix.
- There is more protection against incorrect handling of menus.
- More code syntax updates to conform to standards in recent JAWS versions.
- The installer contains version and product information visible from the Details tab in Windows Explorer, to better identify its contents. This update is being applied to all projects.
- A "directives" text file is included that provides information on how to install this set of scripts manually.
See "Handling Directives Files" in the "Common Script Elements" document for further information.
At this time, the only significant purpose of this file is to indicate clearly the minimum supported JAWS version for these scripts.
- There are more capitalization improvements to the code, for improved readability with JAWS.
- There are minor improvements to this document, including better screen reader behavior on the activation of a same-page link in some browsers.
Revision 12, February 6, 2020
- Installer added and project moved to dlee.org.
- Insert+q includes a script revision number.
- Code syntax updated to conform to standards in recent JAWS versions.
- Dropped support for GoldWave version 4 (very old and would not compile under JAWS versions as far back as 13.0).
- Added 91 scripted keystrokes as compared to the scripts up to now maintained by Stefen Hudson and others.
- Added BSD license to