Support for these scripts is primarily provided in the following
places, most preferred first:
- SkypeEnglish Mailing List
- Public forum in which blind Skype users can help each other.
- @dlee_code on Twitter
- The script author's low-traffic Twitter account for project
(including script) announcements and limited technical support.
This page is laid out for easy navigation via JAWS:
- Use h to jump from section to section.
- Use Tab to move among links for
different script versions. JAWSKey+F7 should also provide
a list of these links.
Script Version 618a
This is the first script release specifically aimed at Skype 6.18 and later.
These scripts are not intended for use with any Skype version older
should tell you your current Skype version number.
This script version is also restricted to JAWS 12.0 and later and will
not install on older JAWS versions. See the
"Plans and Reasons To End Script Support for JAWS Versions Older Than 12.0"
page for details on this change.
This script version is dynamic, meaning that updates to it will be made
"in place. Newer revisions will
replace older ones, and I will add change notes to this section as changes
In these scripts, the information announced for JAWSKey+Q
will include not only the version number but also the exact
revision number of the scripts you are running.
Here are the changes in release 6.18a, most recent first.
In JAWS, use the h or 3 keys to move through
changes by release date, or Tab to jump straight to the
Revision 860, released September 14, 2014
This revision applies the timestamp setting to reading chat messages
directly in a message list, and also makes the JAWS
SayAll command work to read in a message list from the
focused message to the end of the chat. Other minor fixes:
- Ctrl+5 should not be required twice in order to focus a
chat message list. This was a long-standing bug.
- Message count and position speak at normal times again.
Translators need not make any changes to their jsm files for this
revision versus the previous one, revision 856. Revision 856 only
removed four constants from skype.jsm and thus required no jsm changes
Revision 856, released September 7, 2014
This revision includes a number of minor improvements:
- There is no extra pause in the announcement of chat action lines
(made with /me).
- A colon (:) is placed between sender name and
chat message content, so that Braille users can more easily
distinguish the two values. This was requested by a Braille
- In virtualized chat messages, Colons right after links, such as always
occur when a sender name is a link, are now included as part of the link,
so they don't take up an entire line unto themselves.
- Minor improvement to the text of the Keyboard Help message for
Ctrl+Shift+L, Command C Ctrl+L, and Command
- Ctrl+0 no longer produces the message, "Unknown script
call to ReadHistoryItem." This only occurred under JAWS 15 and was a
result of mixing these Skype scripts with those built into that JAWS
- In JAWS Keyboard Help mode, Ctrl+7 no longer claims to
be a command for switching among parts of the Skype screen.
Revision 851, released August 30, 2014
This was the first non-beta script release for Skype 6.18 and later
and includes the following enhancements:
- Fixed a problem with Keyboard Help mode affecting the help
announcements for Alt with numbers.
Revision 848, released August 20, 2014
This revision was released as a beta and was the first release aimed
at, and restricted to, Skype 6.18 and later. It includes the following
enhancements over the previous scripts, which were targeted at Skype 6.9:
- The online Users Guide for the scripts is updated to reflect Skype
- Timestamps can be silenced, and F2 toggles this as it once did.
- Message statuses ("not delivered," "new," "edited," etc.) speak
before message content, again as before.
- Double announcement of names on action lines and contact sharing
messages should no longer occur.
- Chat message virtualization works again, including Enter on links.
This script update eliminates the "alignment error" message often
- File transfer info and other special text reads with messages.
- Ctrl+6 works to read instead of focus a profile area.
- Much obsolete code for old Skype and JAWS versions is removed,
possibly improving script performance.
- Menu buttons like Switch Message Type now say MenuButton instead of Edit Combo.
- Call Quality panel button names again read appropriately.
- Ctrl+Shift+O and Command o sequences are removed as
they can no longer safely be implemented.
Download: Script version 618a Obsolete version, download no longer available